Wardrobe Organisation Tips
If you’re anything like us, you’ll find that your wardrobe often gets out of control. You’ll have clothes spilling out and things all over the place. And if you’re anything like us, you’ll eventually be driven crazy by this and will want to overhaul it completely, vowing to never let it get that way again. But the task of sorting out a wardrobe can be daunting and time consuming.
Here’s our guide to organizing your wardrobe with as little stress as possible.
- Set aside a day. Unfortunately, this task is going to take a while. Set aside half a day at least so you’re not rushing through the process.
- Take everything out. Completely empty your wardrobe, putting things in rows or piles either on the floor, a table or your bed. This step is made easier if your room is clean.
- Evaluate the space. Take a good hard look at your closet and the space you have available. Think about the configuration – how many racks for hanging, how many drawers. Keep this in the back of your mind when sorting through your things and let it help you make difficult decisions on what you should and shouldn’t keep.
- Sort through your things. Take one item at a time and decided whether or not you want to keep it. Make a snap decision to avoid this process slowing you down. Consider whether you wear something often, occasionally or not at all. Put things into piles – keep, give to charity, give to friends or family, throw out or sell.
- Bag up your giveaway and throwaway items accordingly.
- Put everything you are keeping back in your wardrobe, deciding carefully where each item should go. Sort into a system that makes sense for you – e.g. sort by occasion (work wear, weekend attire, special occasion dresses), or perhaps you’d prefer to sort by colour or by item (pants, sweaters, dresses, etc).
- Enjoy your new, organized wardrobe!